first_imgVermont Business Magazine The US Senate Judiciary Committee Thursday advanced the nomination of retired Essex Police Chief Brad LaRose to be Vermont’s next US Marshal. Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont) and Governor Phil Scott (R) had jointly recommended LaRose to President Trump in January to fill the vacancy, and the President nominated him in June.The nomination now goes to the full Senate for a confirmation vote. Once confirmed by the full Senate, LaRose will oversee all U.S. Marshals Service operations in Vermont. With offices in Burlington and Rutland, the Marshals Service plays a crucial role in protecting public safety in Vermont and is responsible for apprehending fugitives and sex offenders as well as managing federal prisoners and protecting federal courthouses.Leahy is a leading member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which considered and approved the nomination.Chief LaRose served Essex as a police officer for more than 36 years, including more than five years as Chief of Police. In their letter to the President, Leahy and Scott cited his experience in teaching recruits and officers at the Vermont Police Academy for 25 years, and the fact that he is a graduate of the Federal Bureau of Investigation National Academy.In a joint statement after the Judiciary Committee’s action on Thursday, Leahy and Scott said: “Brad is a dedicated public servant whose decades of law enforcement experience and support from the community made him exceedingly qualified for this position. His integrity, character and leadership throughout his years of service will serve the people of Vermont well.”Scott and Leahy emphasized the importance to Vermont of the federal partnership role in combatting the addiction to heroin and other opioids, and Chief LaRose’s valuable experience in that effort. “As our state continues to lead on addressing the opioid epidemic, Brad has a demonstrated understanding of the seriousness of this issue and the ability to work with partners across federal, state and local levels,” they said. Scott and Leahy concluded: “We were proud to join together to recommend Brad for this important vacancy, and we greatly appreciate the President’s nomination and the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee today unanimously approving his nomination.”The Marshals Service, created in 1789, is the nation’s oldest federal law enforcement agency. The Marshals Service takes the lead in security of the courts and the entire judicial system and is involved in virtually every federal law enforcement initiative, working with federal prosecutors and federal, state and local law enforcement agencies.For reference, their January 9 letter to the President follows, BELOW.January 9, 2018The Honorable Donald J. TrumpThe White House1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW(link is external)Washington D.C., 20500Dear Mr. President:We write to recommend Brad LaRose of Richmond, Vermont, for the position of United States Marshal for the District of Vermont.Similar to the process we used to recommend Christina Nolan for the position of United States Attorney, we worked together, as the senior Senator from Vermont and the Governor of Vermont, in a bipartisan fashion to identify and interview a range of highly qualified and well-respected candidates to serve as United States Marshal for our state.  We have agreed that Brad has the experience, leadership credentials, and character to serve in this important role.  He is well regarded in his home community, and in the community of Essex, Vermont (Vermont’s second largest community), where he has served as a police officer for more than 36 years, including more than five years as Chief of Police.As we have noted previously, Vermont, like so many states, has been combating the addiction to heroin and other opioids.  Brad understands the challenges of this epidemic and the value of interagency coordination between federal, state, and local law enforcement partners. As a police chief, Brad has contributed personnel to the joint drug task force and helped his officers transition into, and out of, undercover work.  He has also taught both basic recruits and experienced officers at the Vermont Police Academy for 25 years.  In addition, he is a graduate of the Federal Bureau of Investigation National Academy and has an associate degree in Law Enforcement and a bachelor’s degree in Professional Studies.Over his 37-year law enforcement career, Brad has earned reputation as a leader of integrity and high standards who gets results. We are confident that Brad would make an excellent United States Marshal for the State of Vermont.We are proud to join together to recommend Brad for this important vacancy and ask that you consider him for nomination. Thank you for your consideration.  We look forward to working with you.(SENATOR PATRICK LEAHY and GOVERNOR PHIL SCOTT)Source: (THURSDAY, Nov. 15, 2018) – Leahy and Scottlast_img read more

first_imgDeretan Boeing 737 MAX yang ‘nanggur’ akibat larangan terbang. Foto: (Mike Siegel / The Seattle Times) Setelah melalui tahun yang buruk, ditandai dengan jatuhnya Boeing 737 MAX milik maskapai Lion Air dan Ethiopian Airlines, Boeing akhirnya merilis laporan tahunan. Dalam laporan tersebut, Boeing mengaku mencatatkan kerugian bersih terbesar sepanjang sejarah berdirinya perusahaan sebesar US$636 juta (Rp8,864 triliun).Baca juga: Boeing Akui Fitur Folding Wingtip 777X Bisa Jadi Penyebab KecelakaanDikutip dari seattletimes.com, Kamis, (30/1), kinerja keuangan Boeing sebetulnya sempat membaik pada kuartal ketiga 2019. Kala itu, perusahaan berhasil memperoleh laba US$ 895 juta (sekitar Rp12,53 triliun). Padahal, periode tersebut Boeing tengah mengalami pukulan telak akibat serangkaian kecelakaan pada Boeing 737 MAX. Meski demikian, keuntungan yang berhasil diperoleh Boeing pada kuartal tiga ini turun jika dibandingkan dengan pendapatannya tahun lalu sebesar US$1,9 miliar (sekitar Rp26,6 triliun). Boeing mengamankan keuntungannya berkat bisnisnya di sektor pertahanan dan luar angkasa, meskipun sektor pesawat komersial (Commercial Airplanes division) miliknya terus membukukan kerugian lain.Kinerja keuangan Boeing baru benar-benar teruji ketika pada kuartal kedua dan kuartal keempat, dimana perusahaan tersebut mengalami defisit besar. Pada kuartal kedua, Boeing mencatat kerugian US$3,7 miliar (sekitar Rp51,8 triliun). Kemudian pada kuartal keempat, kerugian sebesar US$1,01 miliar (Rp13,7 triliun). Hal itu belum termasuk revenue yang juga menurun dibanding tahun sebelumnya pada kuartal pertama hingga keempat.Pada kuartal pertama hingga keempat tahun lalu, Boeing membukukan total pendapatan mencapai US$3,7 miliar (Rp244,5 triliun), turun hampir 37 persen dibanding tahun sebelumnya US$28,3 miliar (Rp386,9 triliun).Selain itu, kinerja keuangan terburuk Boeing sepanjang sejarah berdirinya perusahaan juga dikarenakan oleh turunnya harga saham perusahaan asal negeri Paman Sam tersebut. Polanya nyaris sama dengan pendapatan Boeing pada kuartal dua dan empat di 2019. Pada tahun tersebut, saham Boeing anjlok menjadi hanya US$1,79 per lembar, jauh dibandingkan dengan harga saham di tahun sebelumnya saat membukukan keuntungan sebesar US$3,4 miliar (Rp 46,4 triliun), yakni sebesar $5.93 per lembar.Selain karena merosotnya pengiriman hingga 53 persen, belum ditambah jumlah pesanan di tahun 2020 yang juga mengalami penurunan, yang pada akhirnya berdampak pada kinerja keuangan, kerugian Boeing juga disumbang oleh banyaknya pembatalan pesanan serta pembayaran ganti rugi kepada para pelanggan, termasuk kepada ahli waris dari para korban terdampak.Tak hanya itu, keputusan Boeing untuk memangkas tingkat produksi 787 Dreamliner, dari 14 unit lebih per bulan menjadi hanya kurang dari 12 unit per bulan, juga turut menyumbang laju perlambatan keuangan Boeing. Menurut sebagian pengamat, keputusan teresbut bukanlah hal yang mengejutkan, mengingat permintaan jangka pendek yang lamban untuk jet berbadan lebar dan sisa pesanan yang hanya tinggal beberapa pesawat saja.Menanggapi beban yang ada dihadapannya, ditambah fakta bahwa perusahaan yang dipimpinnya kini telah mengalami kerugian terbesar sepanjang sejarah berdiri, CEO Boeing, Dave Calhoun pun akhirnya buka suara. Berbanding terballik dengan keadaan keuangan yang tengah terpuruk, ia justru menyikapi berbagai keterpurukan Boeing dengan optimis.“Kami menyadari memiliki banyak pekerjaan yang harus dilakukan. Kami berfokus untuk mengembalikan 737 MAX ke layanan dengan aman dan memulihkan kepercayaan lama yang diwakili oleh merek Boeing dengan publik penerbangan,” katanya.Baca juga: Boeing Kembali Temukan Masalah Baru pada Software, 737 MAX Gagal Terbang (Lagi)“Untungnya, kekuatan keseluruhan portofolio bisnis Boeing kami menyediakan likuiditas keuangan untuk mengikuti proses pemulihan yang menyeluruh dan disiplin,” lanjut, CEO yang baru menjabat awal bulan ini, menggantikan CEO lama, Dennis Muilenburg.Sebagai informasi, sebelum tahun 2019, Boeing juga pernah mencatat kerugian besar pada tahun 1995 dan 1997. Kala itu, Boeing mencatat kerugian total sebesar US$214 miliar (sekitar Rp 46,4 triliun).Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Like this:Like Loading… Relatedlast_img read more

first_imgSpanish newspaper Marca have a feature in their Thursday edition detailing that Real Madrid’s BBC isn’t all positive. The trio of Karim Benzema, Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo is what much of Madrid’s recent success has been built upon, but it also crowds others out.Marca pinpoint Isco as one of those players and it’s stated Pep Guardiola ‘rubs his hands’ at the prospect of the Spanish international being driven out of Madrid, and therefore pushed closer to signing for Manchester City.Isco has only accumulated 77 minutes in the Champions League so far this season, and for Marca that’s a source of sadness. If the 24 year old isn’t given the prominence his talents, and recent performances, deserve then he’ll end up elsewhere, with Manchester City the most linked destination.It’s not just Isco who Marca feel is being sidelined too much and the suggestion is that it wouldn’t be such a bad thing to not always rely on the BBC, to give others chances in the biggest of games… and not just when one of the biggest stars is injured or suspended.Manchester City links with Isco are a favourite in the Spanish media and have been since Manuel Pellegrini took over at the club. Then Isco decided to snub Manchester City for Real Madrid, but the lure of Guardiola could well give City the upper hand should they move again in the summer.by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksTrending TodayForge of Empires – Free Online GameIf You Like to Play, this Strategy Game is a Must-HaveForge of Empires – Free Online GameUndo聽多多 Hearmore.asia1969年前出生的香港居民現可免費試戴頂尖的歐洲助聽器聽多多 Hearmore.asiaUndoSingles50Hong Kong: A 40+ Dating Site That Actually Works!Singles50Undo美術寶1對1香港媽媽們注意了,速來領取適合4-12歲孩子的繪畫課,手慢無美術寶1對1UndoTheTopFiveVPNEnjoy Netflix Now Without Any RestrictionsTheTopFiveVPNUndo熱門話題生髮率無敵高!96%的禿頭都獲得改善!←這會不會長太多?熱門話題UndoSmart Tech TrendEveryone with Bad Vision Needs Those Revolutionary Adjustable Glasses!Smart Tech TrendUndoLoans | Search AdsNeed a loan? Search hereLoans | Search AdsUndoCoworking Space | Search AdsThe cost of shared office in Hong Kong might surprise youCoworking Space | Search AdsUndolast_img read more