first_imgNigeria’s military commanders shift command base Ethiopia restructures military command Match Point 4th July 2015center_img Commander of US forces in Africa (AFRICOM) General Tom Waldhauser attends a press conference after a security meeting with the National Reconciliation Government in the Libyan capital Tripoli on May 31, 2018. (Photo by STRINGER / AFP) (Photo credit should read STRINGER/AFP/Getty Images) Commander of US forces in Africa (AFRICOM) General Tom Waldhauser attends a press conference after a security meeting with the National Reconciliation Government in the Libyan capital Tripoli on May 31, 2018. (Photo credit STRINGER/AFP/Getty Images)The United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) is scheduled to hold a change of command ceremony presided over by the acting United States Secretary of Defense on July 26 at Patch Barracks in Stuttgart, Germany.The ceremony will see U.S. Marine Corps General Thomas D. Waldhauser relinquish command and hand over to his successor U.S. Army General Stephen J. Townsend.Townsend will become the fifth AFRICOM commander while Waldhauser will retire after 43 years of military service.Townsend had previously served as commanding general of U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command since March 2018.AFRICOM, established in 2008, oversees all United States military operations, exercises, security cooperation, and conducts crisis response in Africa with the aim of advancing the United States’ interests and promote regional security, stability, and prosperity.AFRICOM has been instrumental in cooperating with the Federal Government of Somalia in disrupting the operations and degrading the capabilities of militant group Al-Shabaab in Somalia.These efforts are aimed at enabling governance to take hold in the Horn of Africa nation which has been plagued by terrorism for more than a decade. The war waged by the terrorists has killed tens of thousands and forced millions to flee their homes.Relatedlast_img read more

first_imgMANCHESTER, England (CMC):Head coach Phil Simmons wants his batsmen to hit the ground running from the first Test to avoid West Indies having to play catch-up in the three-Test series, which bowls off here next month.With concerns already surrounding the Caribbean side’s batting, Simmons said he hoped the senior players would be at their best from the start, as West Indies chase their first series in England in 32 years.“I think most of the senior batsmen are seasoned players,” Simmons told reporters via Zoom from Old Trafford.“Mentally I think they’re tough, but I think we just need to continue working on our skills, because I think, when you look back at Kraigg, Roston and Shai, they’re mentally tough because they’ve done it at this level, so it’s about making sure they’re sharp and ready to go in the first game. “We’ve had occasions when we’ve toured and only after the first game we start really playing cricket, so it’s something we’re trying to get out of our system and make sure we are ready and raring to go when we get to Southampton.”West Indies were guilty of a slow start on their last tour here three years ago, when they were rolled over cheaply for under 200 in each innings, to slump to an embarrassing innings-and-209-run defeat inside three days at Edgbaston.And while they bounced back with a stunning win at Leeds in the second Test to level the series, they crumbled to a nine-wicket loss at Lord’s in the final Test.That series defeat extended the Windies’ poor record in England, but Simmons said the side was highly motivated to alter that history.“It’s only two weeks before the first Test match and preparation has to go to the next level, so we’ve started that today.”last_img read more