first_img News Entire border patrol unit in North Hamgyong Province placed into quarantine following “paratyphoid” outbreak RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR [imText1]I had ever taken a high-speed train (KTX) for an emergency business to the local area. Although it was 300km at speed, the inside of the train was quiet and comfortable. I sat down on a counter-sit to save some money, yet it was not uncomfortable at all. The train journey reminded me of the train to Heasan, in which I struggled to get in N. Korea in the mid of 1990. In 1996, it took at least 5 or 7 days to go to Heasan from Danchun, South Hamkyung province. I cannot forget the days when I had done cooper business and gotten on the train to Haesan to avoid the watch and violence of the police. In 1996 when all people died of starvation, I did cooper business for living. Besides me, so many people got on the train to do cooper business. During that time, the price of cooper was 60 won that was sold at 250 in Haesan, Yangkangdo. I brought 15-20kg of cooper to Haesan with my mother and my brother at once. To easily carry cooper, we cut cooper into several pieces and wrap them with clothes like magazine and wore them. At that time, cooper sale was illegal. Since it was to dig out and sell cooper to China, the N. Korean government cracked down cooper business. If being detected, they are confiscated by the police or train staffs as well as suffering a bitter insult. However, my family stuck to the cooper business for our living. No cooper business was no living. In one freezing winter, we went up on the ceiling of the train to Chungjin from Baekam to avoid the crack-down of the police and stayed up on it all night. Chungjin from Baekam was the strictest crack-down area. On the ceiling were around 20 people like me. We did not even stretch out our back because of many tunnels and risked being frozen to death. We writhed for living on the ceiling. Digging Cooper Is more Important than the US MissilesOne day a man who lied down on a side stood up to warm his body, yet he knocked his head against a high-tension wire and was bounced out. His company cried out “he died”, yet the train kept running. The night train ran and ran regardless his life. The life of people was like that of flies. At the same time so many people joined the cooper digging in 1995~1998, many factories except some military factories were not operated. Small and middle factories became mere carcasses. Some factory workers even said that, “Even US missile attack and war could not make the factories like this”. Good electromotors were disjointed and complete machines were dismantled to pieces and all kinds of metals were picked out and sold to China. In 1996, a whole big chimney of Heungnam Fertilizer Complex was picked out in a few months because of its zinc surface. The chimney was exchanged into wheat flour made by China and finally disappeared as whole. Electronic wires were not exceptions. This winter would be more freezing to the North Korean people, because of the international sanctions caused by the nuclear test. Most of metals were taken off during the great famine period 10 years ago, so that they could not survive this time. By Daily NK – 2006.12.12 8:53pm Facebook Twitter AvatarDaily NKQuestions or comments about this article? Contact us at [email protected] News center_img There are signs that North Korea is running into serious difficulties with its corn harvest News SHARE News North Korean People Risked Their Necks in Copper Business in 1996 North Korea tries to accelerate building of walls and fences along border with Chinalast_img read more

first_imgFedorovekb/iStock(SAN DIEGO) — A woman allegedly wielding an unloaded gun in one hand and holding a baby in the other interrupted an Easter service at a Southern California church by shouting bomb threats before she was detained by worshippers, police said.The incident occurred around noon on Sunday at the Tsidkenu Church, a non-denominational church, in the San Diego suburb of Clairemont, according to the San Diego Police Department.The suspect, Anna Conkey, 31, was taken into custody and booked at the San Diego County jail on suspicion of making criminal threats and displaying a handgun in a threatening manner, police said.The incident unfolded just hours after suicide bombers killed nearly 300 people in a series of coordinated explosions at churches and luxury hotels in Sri Lanka, more than 9,000 miles away.NBC station KNSD-TV in San Diego reported that Conkey had worked for the station as a freelance producer and intern.Police said the congregation of the Tsidkenu Church, which uses an auditorium at a public school for Sunday services, was wrapping up Easter services when Conkey walked in holding a gun and a 10-month-old baby.“The female walked up on stage and made threats that she was going to blow up the church while waving the handgun,” San Diego police said in a statement.Before police officers arrived at the church, members of the congregation disarmed the women, according to the police statement.“We were just about to finish up our service and a lady came in with a gun and started talking delusional stuff and just kind of kept it [the gun] at the ground, didn’t really have a finger in it and she had an infant baby with her,” Ronald Farmer, a member of the congregation, told OnScene TV. “So my first thought was get my family out of there and I went back in to just make sure if everything happened that there were enough men around that the situation could be controlled.”Another member of the church, who only wanted to be identified as Craig, said that he managed to take the gun away from the women while other church-goers tackled her.Church member, David Michael Miller, a military serviceman, said the woman at one point pointed the gun at the baby.“She starts talking all this craziness about the rapture not being real and everyone’s going to hell and so everyone started praying and then they all ushered out of the service and the leaders and the pastor were up front and they were trying to talk her down,” Miller told OnScene TV. “I was just slowly approaching watching them talk her down. And she was just being very apprehensive, pointing the gun at them, pointing the gun at her baby, saying, ‘Don’t come any closer. Don’t come any closer.’”He said that after Craig grabbed the gun from Conkey, a couple of other men tackled her.“We got the baby away from her,” Miller said. “A few minutes after that, the cops came in. She was trying to run away or something so a cop tackled her through a row of chairs.”Police said the gun Conkey was allegedly armed with was not loaded.Conkey’s baby was not harmed and was placed in protective custody, police said. An investigation led police to Conkey’s 5-year-old daughter at an undisclosed location and she was placed into protective custody, police said.“She just wanted attention, she wanted a conversation, she wanted to say all this stuff,” Ben Wisan, the pastor of the church, told On Scene TV. “We knew who she was, she had been coming on and off for a little bit of time and we’d been praying for her because we wanted to see her set free. There was a lot of stuff bugging her.”Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more