first_imgRelatedHenry Wilson Calls for Campaign to Improve Literacy FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail Opposition Spokesperson on Education, Maxine Henry Wilson, has called for a national reading campaign to improve literacy among children.“There needs to be a national campaign for reading and in this the 60th year of the Jamaica Library Service, I think it would be an appropriate time, because without the reading, the literacy is not going to come, and the understanding for the numeracy, is not going to be there,” Mrs. Henry Wilson stated. She was making her contribution to the 2008/09 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on May 27.Speaking to improvements in the performance of the education system, Mrs. Henry Wilson said despite the problems, there have been a number of interventions that have shown what measures will work. “It is time for us to consolidate all these various learning (projects) and to make sure that the transformation process takes forward the best examples of the best practices that have come out of these various projects, whether it is literacy, or numeracy,” she stated.She noted that over the last three years, there has been significant movement in the Grade Four achievement levels. “Last year, for example, we went up by 10 per cent, which means that it can be done, but it needs to be very systematic in the way in which it is done,” Mrs. Henry Wilson said.Turning to the issue of numeracy, she added that “we need to teach how to teach Math, that is really what the challenge is.we really have to have a national campaign about the teaching of Math”. RelatedHenry Wilson Calls for Campaign to Improve Literacy Advertisementscenter_img Henry Wilson Calls for Campaign to Improve Literacy UncategorizedMay 30, 2008 RelatedHenry Wilson Calls for Campaign to Improve Literacylast_img read more

first_imgABC News(SAN BRUNO, Calif.) — A suspect is dead and several people are injured after a shooting Tuesday at YouTube’s headquarters in Northern California sent employees fleeing for their lives. Here is what we know about how the shooting unfolded. The morning of April 3The suspect, 39-year-old Nasim Aghdam of San Diego, who had been reported missing by her family, was found asleep in a car in a parking lot in Mountain View, California, the morning of the shooting.Mountain View is about 30 miles away from San Bruno, where the shooting took place, police said.Officers made contact with her in that parking lot because her license plate matched “that of a missing person out of Southern California,” police said.“The woman confirmed her identity to us and answered subsequent questions,” police said, adding that “her family was notified that she had been located.” That morning Aghdam also went to a local gun range, police said today. April 3 at 12:46 p.m. local timeThe San Bruno Police Department received “numerous” 911 calls about a shooting at YouTube’s headquarters, said San Bruno City Manager Connie Jackson. 12:48 p.m.San Bruno police officers arrived at YouTube two minutes later and began combing the area for a suspect as employees fled, said Jackson.As officers entered they found one victim at the front of the building with an apparent gunshot wound, Jackson said. 12:53 p.m.Officers searching the building found the suspect dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, Jackson said.The aftermathThe shooting left four victims hospitalized: three with gunshot wounds and one with an ankle injury from running from the scene, police said.Meanwhile, officers worked to clear the scene. They patted down the fleeing YouTube employees and conducted a room-by-room search. Authorities later said there was no immediate threat to the community. Aghdam appears to have carried out the shooting because she was “upset” with YouTube’s “policies and practices,” authorities said today.Aghdam’s brother also told ABC affiliate KGTV in San Diego that she “had a problem with YouTube.”“I didn’t know she has a gun, I thought that maybe she was going to start a fight or something,” he said.“There are no words to describe how horrible it was to have an active shooter today,” YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki tweeted on Tuesday.“Our deepest gratitude to law enforcement & first responders for their rapid response,” she said. “Our hearts go out to all those injured & impacted today. We will come together to heal as a family.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

first_img“It’s really risky territory for these foreign leaders who are trying to host Trump,” said Thomas Wright, director of the Project on International Order and Strategy at the Brookings Institution. “He’s a guy who takes everything personally. He’s looking at a huge protest wherever he goes. He may blame the leaders, and he may just blame the country.”The White House did not immediately respond to requests for comment about how it was crafting its Trump travel strategy. But a Trump administration official said it’s hard for other government heads to resist the possibility of spending time with the leader of the world’s most powerful country. “For better or for worse, people understand that he’s the president, and they want to meet him,” he said.Already, wherever Trump travels inside the United States, he draws demonstrators, many of whom were spurred to hit the streets after his executive order barring refugees and visitors from seven Muslim-majority countries. The White House canceled a Trump trip to Milwaukee recently because the president’s host, the Harley-Davidson motorcycle company, was said to be worried about protests.Trump’s foreign travel plans are slowly taking shape, with Europe as a primary focus. In phone calls with international leaders, Trump has committed to attending the G7 summit in May in Taormina, Italy; a NATO summit that same month in Brussels; and July’s G20 summit in Hamburg. Trump’s appearance at the NATO meeting is especially sensitive given that he’s called the military alliance “obsolete” and questioned its funding structure.Two major Asian summits — APEC, hosted by Vietnam, and ASEAN, hosted by the Philippines — are set for the fall, with Trump likely to attend at least one of them. Like other such gatherings, they can be grueling affairs, requiring attendees to attend hours-long meetings, something Trump, who has a famously short attention span, may struggle with.Several modern U.S. presidents have made Canada, a neighbor and top trade partner, their first stop abroad, sometimes in the bitter cold of February. It’s unclear if Trump will follow that tradition, although Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has invited him. White House spokesman Sean Spicer has said Trump and Trudeau will meet “soon.” But at this rate, Trump appears likely to make his first overseas presidential debut later than his two recent predecessors, Barack Obama and George W. Bush, who both were traveling abroad within a month of their first inaugurations. Less than a month into his presidency, Donald Trump is forcing foreign leaders to grapple with an extraordinary question: Is it worth the political risk to invite him for a visit?In Britain, Prime Minister Theresa May is already dealing with a popular backlash over her country’s invitation for a state visit to the combustible new U.S. president. Irish leaders, meanwhile, are debating whether to invite Trump — and whether their prime minister should follow tradition and visit the White House on St. Patrick’s Day.Elsewhere in the world, staffers involved in arranging summits and bilateral meetings face the possibility of public relations and security headaches wherever the U.S. president sets foot, not least because he’s likely to draw protests. Perhaps nowhere has the Trump visit dilemma been clearer than in Britain.U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May is determined to forge strong ties with the Trump as her country negotiates its exit from the European Union. But nearly 2 million people have signed a petition demanding the British government not honor Trump with a state visit because “it would cause embarrassment to her majesty, the Queen.” On Monday, the debate hit a new level when the speaker of the British House of Commons, John Bercow, said Trump should not be allowed to address parliament during his trip.“I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations,” Bercow said, to applause, when explaining his stance.Wright said Bercow may have done the British prime minister, a member of the Conservative Party, a favor by undercutting the notion of a Trump appearance before Parliament.“Imagine if he spoke at the House Commons and the entire Labour Party turned their backs on him — the chances of something going seriously wrong are very, very high,” Wright said.And Trump, who takes great pride in his brand, revels in adulation, and is highly sensitive to criticism, may not react well, Wright added. If he feels disrespected, say, in Britain or at the NATO summit, Trump may try to take it out on his hosts through policy decisions or, at the least, via Twitter-bashing. Even the latter poses a domestic political risk for foreign leaders who probably don’t wish to be embarrassed by the U.S. president.center_img Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny has accepted Trump’s invitation to stop by the White House on St. Patrick’s Day, following a custom of past prime ministers. Tens of thousands of people have signed a petition, titled “Shamrock for Trump: Not in My Name” pressuring Kenny to scrap the trip. Kenny isn’t backing down, however, and has pledged to tell Trump he disagrees with the U.S. president’s immigration policy.Meanwhile, some Irish politicians are questioning whether Kenny should invite Trump to visit their country in return. Ireland’s finance minister, Michael Noonan, said Kenny should wait for a while before asking Trump to stop by.“I think he should invite him at some stage, but I think an early visit might be controversial,” Noonan told the Limerick Leader. “In all these things, the only reason he would invite him would be for the economic benefit of the country, and if it was too controversial it probably wouldn’t be of economic benefit. So it’s a matter of timing, but he certainly shouldn’t rule it out.”Some foreign officials downplayed the risks involved with a Trump visit.In Poland, where the government is relatively conservative, leaders have indicated they are enthusiastic about Trump, except for one area of concern: his apparent fondness for Russia. There’s even an online petition urging Trump to make Poland his first stop in Europe; more than 116,000 people have signed on.Poland has already invited Trump for a multilateral meeting in July, said Piotr Wilczek, the country’s ambassador to the United States. “In Poland, I think the attitude is quite different than in some countries, like France or Germany,” Wilczek said. “I don’t think it’s a risk. I would love for him to visit.”last_img read more

first_imgVermont Business Magazine The US Senate Judiciary Committee Thursday advanced the nomination of retired Essex Police Chief Brad LaRose to be Vermont’s next US Marshal. Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont) and Governor Phil Scott (R) had jointly recommended LaRose to President Trump in January to fill the vacancy, and the President nominated him in June.The nomination now goes to the full Senate for a confirmation vote. Once confirmed by the full Senate, LaRose will oversee all U.S. Marshals Service operations in Vermont. With offices in Burlington and Rutland, the Marshals Service plays a crucial role in protecting public safety in Vermont and is responsible for apprehending fugitives and sex offenders as well as managing federal prisoners and protecting federal courthouses.Leahy is a leading member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which considered and approved the nomination.Chief LaRose served Essex as a police officer for more than 36 years, including more than five years as Chief of Police. In their letter to the President, Leahy and Scott cited his experience in teaching recruits and officers at the Vermont Police Academy for 25 years, and the fact that he is a graduate of the Federal Bureau of Investigation National Academy.In a joint statement after the Judiciary Committee’s action on Thursday, Leahy and Scott said: “Brad is a dedicated public servant whose decades of law enforcement experience and support from the community made him exceedingly qualified for this position. His integrity, character and leadership throughout his years of service will serve the people of Vermont well.”Scott and Leahy emphasized the importance to Vermont of the federal partnership role in combatting the addiction to heroin and other opioids, and Chief LaRose’s valuable experience in that effort. “As our state continues to lead on addressing the opioid epidemic, Brad has a demonstrated understanding of the seriousness of this issue and the ability to work with partners across federal, state and local levels,” they said. Scott and Leahy concluded: “We were proud to join together to recommend Brad for this important vacancy, and we greatly appreciate the President’s nomination and the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee today unanimously approving his nomination.”The Marshals Service, created in 1789, is the nation’s oldest federal law enforcement agency. The Marshals Service takes the lead in security of the courts and the entire judicial system and is involved in virtually every federal law enforcement initiative, working with federal prosecutors and federal, state and local law enforcement agencies.For reference, their January 9 letter to the President follows, BELOW.January 9, 2018The Honorable Donald J. TrumpThe White House1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW(link is external)Washington D.C., 20500Dear Mr. President:We write to recommend Brad LaRose of Richmond, Vermont, for the position of United States Marshal for the District of Vermont.Similar to the process we used to recommend Christina Nolan for the position of United States Attorney, we worked together, as the senior Senator from Vermont and the Governor of Vermont, in a bipartisan fashion to identify and interview a range of highly qualified and well-respected candidates to serve as United States Marshal for our state.  We have agreed that Brad has the experience, leadership credentials, and character to serve in this important role.  He is well regarded in his home community, and in the community of Essex, Vermont (Vermont’s second largest community), where he has served as a police officer for more than 36 years, including more than five years as Chief of Police.As we have noted previously, Vermont, like so many states, has been combating the addiction to heroin and other opioids.  Brad understands the challenges of this epidemic and the value of interagency coordination between federal, state, and local law enforcement partners. As a police chief, Brad has contributed personnel to the joint drug task force and helped his officers transition into, and out of, undercover work.  He has also taught both basic recruits and experienced officers at the Vermont Police Academy for 25 years.  In addition, he is a graduate of the Federal Bureau of Investigation National Academy and has an associate degree in Law Enforcement and a bachelor’s degree in Professional Studies.Over his 37-year law enforcement career, Brad has earned reputation as a leader of integrity and high standards who gets results. We are confident that Brad would make an excellent United States Marshal for the State of Vermont.We are proud to join together to recommend Brad for this important vacancy and ask that you consider him for nomination. Thank you for your consideration.  We look forward to working with you.(SENATOR PATRICK LEAHY and GOVERNOR PHIL SCOTT)Source: (THURSDAY, Nov. 15, 2018) – Leahy and Scottlast_img read more

first_imgThanks to the fiscal cliff deal and the Affordable Care Act, the top 1% of taxpayers – and many in the top 3% as well – will have to pay a bigger tax bill come April 15.by.  Jeanne SahadiThat’s because those laws included four key tax measures that went into effect for tax year 2013.Who’ll be hit hardest? Those who make 7-figures with substantial wage and investment income.Households with incomes over $1 million could pay about $170,000 more on average than they did in tax year 2012, according to estimates from the Tax Policy Center.Those making between $500,000 and $1 million would likely pay an average of $15,000 more.Plenty of taxpayers with incomes between $200,000 and $500,000 also could be affected by some of the changes.Here’s where the increases will come from: continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

first_imgKINGSTON, Jamaica – Toni-Ann Singh, 23, a recent graduate of Florida State University was crowned Miss Jamaica World 2019 last Saturday at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel from a field of 16 contestants.A former contestant in the Florida Caribbean Association pageant Sing was encouraged to enter the Miss Jamaica World pageant by a judge at the former pageant, Miss Jamaica World 2005 Terri-Karelle Reid.Born in Morant Bay, St. Thomas, and migrating to the United States 14 years ago, Singh who wants to become a medical doctor and is a talented singer and musician also won the top awards for talent, personality and the most photogenic contestant. Roselle McKinley placed second to Singh and Alanna Wanliss third.Toni-Ann Singh will now represent Jamaica in Miss World 2019 at at the ExCeL London in London, England, U.K. on December 14, 2019. She is the 58th woman to represent Jamaica in the oldest running international beauty pageant created by the late Eric Morley in the United Kingdom in 1951.Jamaica has excelled participating in the Miss World pageant with Carol Joan Crawford, Cindy Breakspear and Lisa Hanna each walking away with the coveted crown in 1962, 1976 and 1993 respectively.The newly crowned Miss Jamaica World studied psychology and women studies at FSU and took a year off before embarking on studies at medical school.Saturday’s coronation took place before a capacity audience and was held under the theme, ‘Jamaica Jamboree’, in tribute to Aston Cooke, co-franchisee of the Miss Jamaica World pageant who died in February this year.Entertainment was provided by actor/comedian Christopher “Johnny” Daley, and singer Dimaro McDowell who performed a medley of reggae and rocksteady songs.last_img read more