first_img1 Granit Xhaka is sent off during Arsenal’s win over Burnley Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will encourage Granit Xhaka not to tackle after the Swiss midfielder was sent off for the second time this season.The 24-year-old begins a four-match ban this weekend after being dismissed during the 2-1 victory over Burnley last Sunday.Xhaka, who was signed for £30million from German side Borussia Monchengladbach in the summer, was praised by Wenger for his commitment and dedication but the Frenchman believes his tackling technique is a fundamental problem and thinks the best course of action is to simply stop doing it.“(I have concerns) more about his technique,” Wenger said on Thursday.“I think he’s not naturally a great tackler and in his decision-making I think he is quite intelligent on the pitch. But it’s more the way he tackles that is not really convincing. He doesn’t master well the technique of tackling.“I would rather encourage him not to tackle, to stay on his feet and that’s the best way to deal with it. Tackling is a technique that you learn at a young age.“You can improve it but when you are face-to-face with somebody, it’s better you stay up.”The player now has nine red cards for club and country since 2014, and things got worse for him when he was spoken to by the police over an allegation of racial abuse at Heathrow Airport on Monday.The 24-year-old denies any wrongdoing and was not arrested. He visited a local police station after the alleged incident was reported.A statement related to the incident was released by the Metropolitan Police on Tuesday, which read: “Police were called at 19:29hrs on Monday, 23 January following an allegation that a member of staff had been racially abused at Heathrow Airport, Terminal Five. “The allegation was made by a third party. Officers attended and spoke with a man in his 20s. He was not arrested. He voluntarily attended a west London police station where he was interviewed under caution. Enquiries continue.”Wenger was adamant that the player had not let Arsenal down, either over the racial abuse allegations or the second red card.“There are two incidents which have been talked about,” Wenger said.“One is the sending-off. I felt that the sending-off was harsh when I watched it again. It was not a dangerous tackle, it was a clumsy tackle.“You have to accept that he can be punished for these kinds of tackles now. He has to learn from that. I don’t think he wanted to injure anybody.“He has to learn from it. Unfortunately we will lose him for four games in a very important period of the season.“Hopefully we will get away with it. The other incident, at Heathrow, he denies completely. I have talked with him about it and he completely denies what happened there.“I can only talk about him on what I’ve seen since the start. He’s had a fantastic attitude since he arrived here on a daily basis.“Sometimes you don’t know how the players will behave on a daily basis but I must say that he has been absolutely marvellous to handle with his commitment, focus, dedication and I’ve never heard anything bad said about him.”last_img read more

first_img8 September 2011 Co-ordinated efforts by police and business saw bank robberies drop by a massive 58% over the last year, marking the biggest decline in South Africa’s generally improved crime statics for 2010/11. Releasing the country’s annual crime statistics in Pretoria on Thursday, Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa said there were just 39 bank robberies in 2010/11 compared to the 93 cases recorded in 2009/10. The minister attributed the success to coordinated efforts between police and businesses. Cash-in-transit heists also declined significantly, by 18.7%, which Mthethwa attributed to the arrest of key criminals involved in bank and cash-in-transit robberies, coupled with the police’s rapid response. Allowing photographs of criminals wanted for these crimes to be published had also led to arrests and contributed to the decrease.ATM bombings up 61.5% However, Mthethwa expressed concern over ATM bombings, which had increased by 61.5%. Most of these blasts took place in Gauteng province, which accounted for 57.1% for ATM bombings, followed by North West province with 12.4%. “Some of these trends are informed by migration and displacement of crime from one province to another, but we are beginning to intensify our operations in some of these hard-hit provinces,” he said. Despite the massive increase in ATM bombings, the minister noted that there were also some successes. “According to the South African Banking Risk Information Centre, this form of crime has started to decline, with a 17% decline in ATM robberies since April 2011 compared with the same period last year.” The crime statistics also indicated a 2.8% increase in commercial crime ratio. The minister noted that commercial crime was not only a South African problem but a global challenge, adding that the police hoped to partner with their international counterparts to improve their methods of tackling such crime locally. Source: BuaNewslast_img read more