first_imgThai funk trio Khruangbin has been rocketing in popularity ever since the release of their debut album, The Universe Smiles Upon You, in 2015. Last month, at a hometown gig in their native Houston, they were joined by fellow Texan Leon Bridges where they debuted two new songs “Texas Sun” and “C-Side”.It now appears that the Leon Bridges sit-in wasn’t merely just a one-off, as the two acts have announced a collaborative EP to be titled, Texas Sun, and shared the project’s title track on Tuesday.Related: The Story of Khruangbin: Global Sounds, Sonic Journeys, & “All That Rad Sh*t” [Interview]The album is due out early next year February 7th, and will be the third EP from Khruangbin following 2014’s The Infamous Bill.“We try not to have too much of an intention, because it gets in the way of what the music wants to do,” Khruangbin’s Laura Lee said about the organic nature of the collaboration in a statement. “If you just let the music do what it’s supposed to do, it will reveal itself. We tried to take that same approach with Leon. For us, it was opening up our world to have another person in it. But all of it feels like Texas to me.”Listen to Khruangbin and Leon Bridges’ new single, “Texas Sun”, below.Khruangbin w/ Leon Bridges — “Texas Sun”[Video: Dead Oceans]This summer was one of collaboration for a group that has shied away from sit-ins in the past. At LOCKN’ they were joined onstage by Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio for a medley of their own songs, and at Desert Daze Khruangbin joined Wu-Tang Clan for a funky rendition of “Protect Ya Neck (The Jump Off)“.Texas Sun is available for pre-order here.last_img read more

first_imgAston Villa were one of the clubs to show interest in Omar Elabdellaoui, according to VG. The 28-year-old left Olympiacos after his contract expired this summer, and earlier this week he completed a switch to Galatasaray and signed a three-year deal with them.He’s managed by his brother, Rachid, and Mikail Adampour. The latter confirmed there was interest in the Norway international from England and Germany, but he refused to provide any details.“I can confirm interest from several clubs. The specific countries that Omar turned down were England, Germany and Italy. Out of respect for the clubs that have been involved, we will not comment beyond this,” Adampour explained.VG claim Aston Villa, Fiorentina, FC Augsburg and Schalke were the clubs interested in signing the player, but he ‘turned down offer from the Premier League club’ and others.Embed from Getty ImagesElabdellaoui didn’t respond to VG’s request when they asked him for a comment on the interest shown from Dean Smith’s side, Fiorentina and the two German clubs. However, he did speak to them at a different time, explaining why he picked Galatasaray over other clubs.“After six fantastic years at Olympiacos, competitive instinct is an important factor for me. My career has to go where I play for titles,” Elabdellaoui said.“The approach from other clubs has been huge this season. All options were carefully considered by me and my team, and Galatasaray have a proud tradition of fighting for titles.”The former Hull City man has won five trophies in his career and all of them came with Olympiacos.by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksTrending TodayDBS”I had S$9 left in my bank account”DBSUndoWealthMastery.asiaThis Singaporean Couple is Disrupting A $3 Trillion IndustryWealthMastery.asiaUndoRaid: Shadow Legends | Free DownloadEven Non-Gamers Are Obsessed With This RPG Game (It’s Worth Installing!)Raid: Shadow Legends | Free DownloadUndoSingtelGet 30GB for $25 on SG’s #1 network.SingtelUndoGOMO by Singtel.Switch to GOMO. 40GB for $20 for 12 months!GOMO by Singtel.UndoTip ParentsBaby Keeps Waking Up With Scratches, Mom Checks Camera And Calls CopsTip ParentsUndoSingtel PowerInstant savings and a $50 rebate.Singtel PowerUndoDaily Sport XShe Was A Legendary Actress – Today She Works 9 To 5Daily Sport XUndoRich HousesCosplay Costumes That Went A Little Too FarRich HousesUndolast_img read more

first_imgDENVER | Voters on Tuesday were deciding whether to make Denver the first U.S. city to decriminalize psilocybin — the psychoactive substance in “magic mushrooms” — and add a new chapter to the city’s role in shaping wider drug policy.A citizen initiative on the ballot followed the same tack taken by marijuana activists to decriminalize pot possession in 2005 in the city. That move was followed by statewide legalization in 2012. A number of other states then broadly allowed marijuana use and sales by adults.Psilocybin decriminalization campaign organizers have said their only goal is to keep people out of jail in Denver for using or possessing the drug to cope with depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress and other conditions.A vendor bags psilocybin mushrooms at a pop-up cannabis market in Los Angeles on Monday, May 6, 2019. Voters decide this week whether Denver will become the first U.S. city to decriminalize the use of psilocybin, the psychedelic substance in “magic mushrooms.” (AP Photo/Richard Vogel)The initiative would effectively decriminalize use or possession of psilocybin by people 21 and older, making it the lowest enforcement priority for police and prosecutors. The measure does not legalize psilocybin or permit its sale by cannabis businesses.Kevin Matthews, director of the Decriminalize Denver campaign, said psilocybin has helped him deal with depression for years.“This is not something you have to take every day,” the 33-year-old Denver native said. “It provides a lot of lasting benefits, weeks and months after one experience.”Psilocybin has been outlawed in the U.S. since the 1960s, and some researchers warn that it should only be used under medical supervision and can prompt paranoia and anxiety.The federal government classifies psilocybin as a Schedule I drug, with no medical purpose and a high potential for abuse.For decades, that status has stymied research into medical uses of psilocybin, but small, closely supervised studies in recent years have found that it can help treat anxiety and depression in cancer patients. Users have described seeing vivid colors and geometric patterns, and experiencing powerful spiritual connections and emotions.Magic mushrooms have been used in religious practices for decades because of their powerful effect on perceptions and spiritual experiences. Those same effects have appealed to recreational users dating back to the 1960s counterculture movement.A California effort to decriminalize psilocybin failed to qualify for the statewide ballot in 2018. Organizers in Oregon are trying to gather enough support to put an initiative to a statewide vote next year.It took the pro-psilocybin organizers in Denver three tries to develop language approved by city officials for the ballot. They collected more than 8,000 signatures to qualify for Tuesday’s election.Denver Mayor Michael Hancock opposes the initiative along with District Attorney Beth McCann, but there has been no organized campaign against decriminalization.The city’s election has largely focused on a six-way race for mayor and a heated effort to end Denver’s “urban camping” ban that affects people without housing and has pitted activists against well-financed business and development groups.Supporters of the psilocybin initiative have done door-to-door canvassing and leafletted at community events and outside Coors Field before Colorado Rockies’ games.The proposed ordinance also would prevent city funds from being used to pursue criminal penalties on possession or use and create a panel to study the effects of the change.“Nobody should be penalized for this substance,” Matthews said. “One arrest is too many. No person deserves this kind of treatment for a substance this safe.”last_img read more

first_img17 May 2004It was twenty-one minutes past noon in Switzerland when the envelope was opened, its contents withdrawn and Fifa President Sepp Blatter’s long-awaited words, barely audible above the noise, were spoken.At 12:21 on 15 May 2004, history had been made: it was the time of Africa and South Africa to stage the world’s greatest sporting festival.“I am delighted that an African association has earned the right to host the Fifa World Cup”, said the head of world football’s governing body as the South African bidding delegation embraced before a press conference at the World Trade Center in Zurich.Meanwhile elated journalists, many sporting workman’s helmets, blew “vuvuzela” plastic horns and sang the traditional African “Shosholoza” anthem in the packed auditorium.The South African team, including former president Nelson Mandela, bid chairman Irvin Khoza and chief executive Danny Jordaan, were invited onto the stage to answer questions.With 14 votes to Morocco’s 10 and Egypt’s none, South Africa had been chosen as hosts of the 2010 Fifa World Cup from the first round of voting.“Each member of the executive committee was called on by the general secretary to cast his vote by secret ballot. Under these conditions, we can only know the choice of each executive committee member by asking them individually”, Blatter said in reply to a journalist’s question before giving the floor to the winning delegation.“This is for Africa”, said a remarkably controlled Irwin Khoza. “For 44 million South Africans, this is for you. We have the jewel in the crown of sporting events.”‘I feel like a young man of 15’Over recent months, Nelson Mandela had campaigned tirelessly to promote his nation’s bid.Sitting next to Blatter, South Africa’s former president, who spent 27 of his 85 years in prison under the apartheid regime, could not hold back his tears, and they fell freely down his cheeks.“I feel like a young man of 15”, Mandela said to laughter. But, typically, his first thought was for others – the people of Morocco, Egypt, Libya and Tunisia. “You must not be discouraged”, Mandela said. “It is no reflection of your efforts. Next time when you compete, you may be luckier.”“South Africans should treat this decision with humility and without arrogance because we are, after all, equal”, Mandela said with a booming voice that sent a shiver down the spine, prompting one Egyptian journalist to stand up and say: “We love you Nelson Mandela”.‘It is wonderful to be an African today’Speaking through experience, Danny Jordaan, who had been involved in South Africa’s one-vote final-round defeat four years ago, also took time to sympathise with his African “brothers”.“The World Cup decision is a big victory for one and a massive defeat for others”, he said. “But let us join hands and move forward to deliver an outstanding world cup – so we don’t have to wait 100 more years to stage another one.“The dream of a nation has come true today”, Jordaan said. “Some South Africans may not have food or a job, but they now have hope. Fifa has said Africa is worthy. It is wonderful to be an African today!”Speaking later, Jordaan said he believed the World Cup would not only be a success, but help unify a nation.“We have talked about this moment for four years. The world cup will help unify our people. If there is one thing on this planet that has the power to bind people together, it is football.“My country is ready to welcome the world”, Jordaan said. “With our colourful dress, songs and dances, I can assure you 2010 will be something the world has never seen before at a World Cup.”Source: Fifa.comlast_img read more

first_img29 November 2013Entries for the 2014 Comrades Marathon will close at the end of business on Friday, a day earlier than had been planned because the cap of 18 000 runners has been reached ahead of schedule.In recent years the cap has been implemented for logistical and organisational purposes; the race has been oversubscribed since 2009.Online and in-house entries at the Comrades Marathon offices in Pietermaritzburg will close at 16:30 on Friday. However, Comrades Marathon Association (CMA) General Manager Chris Bruwer said: “We will still accept postal entries, but they must be postmarked by the Post Office with [the] date of 29 November 2013. Entries made after this date will be rejected.”Heightened interestSince a massive entry in 2010, when the Guinness World Records recognised the Comrades Marathon as the biggest ultra-marathon in the world, and the event was named the winner of the Virgin Active Sport Industry Awards for South Africa’s “Best Sport Participation Event”, there has been a heightened interest in the race, which was first run in 1921.The 2010 race, which benefited from the excitement surrounding the 2010 Fifa World Cup, had 23 568 entries, with 14 343 runners finishing before the 12-hour cut-off time.The iconic road running race enjoys recognition as Africa’s oldest marathon and ultra-marathon at the Association of International Marathons and Distance Races (AIMS).2014 raceNext year’s event will be the 89th running of the Comrades Marathon. It was only during the Second World War, in the years from 1941 to 1945, that it was not held.Pietermaritzburg will host the start of next year’s Comrades Marathon on Sunday, 1 June. Competitors are allowed up to 12 hours to reach the finish in Durban.The defending men’s champion will be South African Claude Moshiywa, while Elena Nurgalieva, the defending women’s champion, will have an opportunity to match Bruce Fordyce’s nine wins in the race.SAinfo reporter and Comrades Marathonlast_img read more

first_imgMourinho reacts after Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas is brought down inside the box on SundayPremier League leaders Chelsea witnessed yet another hiccup in their title campaign after being held 1-1 by a determined Southampton in a Sunday clash that also saw a penalty shout for Jose Mourinho’s men being dismissed.For the animated Mourinho we know, the world came crashing down and the infamous Portuguese rant began. The Chelsea manager lashed out at referee Anthony Taylor for not awarding a penalty after the Spanish playmaker Cesc Fabregas was tripped – as Mou wants to call it – by Southampton’s Matt Targett early in the second half.The Chelsea manager was outraged to such an extent that he even accused the media, commentators and even his rival managers(namely Sam Allardyce) of pressurizing the referees in what he believes is a serious campaign against the Blues.Mourinho went on to speculate that it was probably the Taylor’s inexperience of refereeing the professional games that apparently led to such an obnoxious decision. He also didn’t shy away from telling the referee that he should be ashamed about his decision.Fabregas was surely brought down by Targett inside the box and the contact, even if it was marginal, made a compelling case for the all important penalty. And Fabregas’ booking for simulation was only salt to their wounds. But seriously, associating a bad call with an outrageous campaign against the entire team is even low as per Mourinho’s standards.Chelsea are a great team and there’s no doubt they shouldn’t finish with anything less than the title. But, don’t let Mourinho fool you. The man is a shrewd tactician, probably not as good as the old Fergie we saw at Old Trafford but he’s there nonetheless.advertisementIt’s a strategy straight from the books of Sir Alex Ferguson – the siege mentality. A way of great management and impeccable use of psychology, Mourinho has build a belief in his squad that everyone is against them and he’s making the fans feel that way too.Mourinho’s play is good for the ears but it’s improbable to be believed as the statistics speak otherwise. Chelsea, who are crying foul for the recent penalty, are the worst offenders in the Premier League when it comes to diving.The Blues have attracted four bookings for simulation this season, which is almost double that Sunderland and Manchester City – the next biggest offenders – have received. Roman Abramovich’s club witnessed Diego Costa, Willian, Branislav Ivanovic and Gary Cahill going to ground too easily.The statistics doesn’t take anything away from the bad call Chelsea witnessed, but it clearly contradicts the theory of their manager and highlights the mind games at play here. And, as far as the ‘campaign against Chelsea’ is concerned, it’s brilliantly entertaining calculated nonsense.last_img read more