first_imgThese rules, covering most deals above the €200,000 threshold, intend to ensure public bodies give tax payers value for money by scouring the market for suppliers.This is designed to protect fair competition by putting in place strict rules preventing authorities from buying all their goods and services from ‘friendly’ suppliers or ‘national champions’. Tenders should also be widely publicized and published in the European Communities’ Official Journal.The Commission states in its consultation paper that the system for contracts in some member states is far removed from the EU law.The lack of effective review procedures to put right these flaws, together with huge differences in systems from one state to another, “may discourage some economic operators from tendering for public contracts”, it adds. The Dutchman, in charge of the Union’s complex public procurement rulebook, is concerned about day-to-day application of two directives designed to ensure that these rules are adhered to – and that companies can trigger a review of contract decisions and get effective remedies if they have been treated unfairly. As a first step, Bolkestein has launched a consultation on the current shortcomings with national authorities, with a mid-June deadline for replies. “There are shortcomings with these directives,” said his spokesman Jonathan Todd, adding that the Commission has recently stepped-up legal action against the UK and Ireland over their regimes.Shortcomings are amplified by the failure of authorities to apply the EU’s overall public procurement laws.last_img read more

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

first_img Oct 15, 2020 COVID-19: Belize confirms 4 cases; PM closes borders to nationals(PRESS RELEASE) – My Fellow Belizeans, Earlier today, the Ministry of Health’s leadership team publicly announced the worrying news of test results having this morning confirmed Belize’s fourth case of COVID-19. The infected person is from the Cayo District, but up until about 11 days ago, had been traveling to and…April 3, 2020In “Belize”Mapping Detect Three New Cases of COVID-19The Ministry of Health continues to intensify its surveillance and mapping activities in order to contain the spread of COVID-19. Three (3) additional cases of COVID-19 were identified after making an initial mapping in the City of Belize and as part of samples obtained from the case identified in Corozal…April 11, 2020In “General”Belize – April 9 updateThe Ministry of Health obtained 30 samples for COVID-19 on April 8 and confirmed the ninth case. Patient is a minor who had direct contact with a previously identified patient. The 30 samples tested yesterday include additional mapping samples for patients #6 and #7 and also from other health facilities…April 10, 2020In “General”Share this on WhatsApp Oct 16, 2020 A female in San Ignacio Town, as a close contact of a confirmed case from that town. Three cases in Belize City, which are all close contacts of a previously confirmed case in that city. The confirmed cases are distributed as follows: CMO says Saint Lucia at critical stage of COVID-19 outbreak You may be interested in… Six Eastern Caribbean countries deemed safe for travel – CDC St. Lucia records more cases of COVID Oct 15, 2020 The total number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Belize now stands at 18, with four new confirmed cases identified over the last 24 hours. Oct 16, 2020 Belmopan. April 13, 2020. 1:00 p.m. Patient #3 also remains positive at day 15 after initial confirmation of his case. With this, the Ministry of Health can confirm that there are two active clusters that are being closely followed, one in San Ignacio and one in Belize City. The latter seems to have originated after a social activity on Saturday, March 14th. This particular active cluster in Belize City has identified five cases, therefore, the Ministry is asking the public to call 0-800-MOH-CARE or 613-0787 (Central Health Region) if they attended a social gathering at Plaza Diner in Belize City on March 14, 2020. If you were at this event and have developed a fever, cough, sneezing, runny nose or difficulty breathing, please remain in isolation and call the numbers provided. The Ministry of Health has, effective immediately, increased the quarantine period to 21 days. If you have been an immediate contact of any of the known cases you are also required to self-quarantine.  Share this:PrintTwitterFacebookLinkedInLike this:Like Loading… More deaths from COVID-19 recorded in CARICOM countries,… last_img read more