first_img Turk Telekom stake up for sale LIVE FROM 5G WORLD, LONDON: Turk Telekom CEO Paul Doany (pictured) slammed operator snipes against OTT players, stating they would have no network traffic without the companies.The executive said the maligning of OTT companies was “very offensive” as these businesses were “investing money, they are taking risks”. He challenged operators by asking: “what risks are you taking? None.”Doany was speaking during a panel session, where he discussed a decision to depart the telecoms industry in 2011, when he ended a previous tenure as CEO of the operator.“I found the industry very boring. Telcos were forever fighting with regulators and that’s the boring part. You have a regulator that doesn’t understand anything about anything and a telco that lives in a comfort zone and doesn’t want to move out of it. Both are dead horses.”Doany noted Turk Telekom decided to “take a risk” on acquisitions of IT companies in his absence (he returned to the role in 2016).He said the money the industry spends investing in companies and units developing technologies such as network slicing was “nothing compared to the money we are wasting on advertising services we won’t provide well, and that’s the problem of the telecoms industry.” Subscribe to our daily newsletter Back Paul DoanyTurk Telekom Chris Donkin Author Previous ArticleHuawei makes move with in-house OSNext ArticleOfcom targets rural, industrial coverage boost Home Turk Telekom chief slates attitudes to OTTs AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 13 JUN 2019 Chris joined the Mobile World Live team in November 2016 having previously worked at a number of UK media outlets including Trinity Mirror, The Press Association and UK telecoms publication Mobile News. After spending 10 years in journalism, he moved… Read more Related Turk Telekom share transfer approved Tags China hardware company linked to Turk Telekom stakelast_img read more

first_imgSeven Days,Vermont Public Radio,Vermont Business Magazine Vermont Public Radio and Seven Days(link is external) have won a 2020 National Edward R. Murrow award for their 2019 series “Worse For Care(link is external),” a joint investigation into Vermont’s assisted living and residential care homes for the elderly. The award for Investigative Reporting in the Small Market Radio Division(link is external) was presented by the Radio Television Digital News Association on October 10.“It’s an honor to win for a collaborative journalism project that pulled together the best reporting, editing and data skills at our two organizations,” said Sarah Ashworth, VPR’s vice president of news. “By working together we were able to do something much larger in scale than we would have been able to do alone. It’s a good reminder that when two organizations set aside competitive pressures and work toward a common goal, we can have a big impact.”VPR and Seven Days reporters obtained five and a half years’ worth of complaints and state inspections, detailed in thousands of pages of documents. The series revealed troubling patterns of inadequate care that led to dozens of injuries and indignities, and at least five deaths. “Worse for Care” was produced at VPR by Emily Corwin and Mark Davis, and at Seven Days by Derek Brouwer, Matthew Roy, Candace Page and James Buck. In addition to a series of print, digital and on-air stories over four weeks, the project included Vermont Elder Care Navigator, a searchable database at eldercare.sevendaysvt.com(link is external), built by Seven Days data editor Andrea Suozzo, and populated by the project team.”This project was months in the making,” said Seven Days news editor Matthew Roy. “In November 2018, both of our newsrooms reported that the State of Vermont had seized control of three eldercare facilities from an out-of-state owner after food shortages and financial problems. That’s what prompted Andrea Suozzo to file our initial public records requests in January 2019. Unlike nursing homes, which are regulated by the federal government, Vermont’s eldercare facilities are monitored by the state and the recordkeeping discourages public scrutiny. This series helped shed light on the cracks in the system, and made the state’s inspection reports readily accessible. It also familiarized our newsrooms with these issues — knowledge that has helped us cover the coronavirus pandemic.” Since 1971, RTDNA has been honoring outstanding achievements in broadcast and digital journalism with the Edward R. Murrow Awards. Among the most prestigious in news, the Murrow Awards recognize local and national news stories that uphold the RTDNA Code of Ethics, demonstrate technical expertise and exemplify the importance and impact of journalism as a service to the community. Murrow Award-winning work demonstrates the excellence that Edward R. Murrow(link is external) made a standard for the broadcast news profession.A full list of 2020 award winners is available here(link is external). In addition to the Murrow Award, “Worse For Care” won an Association of Alternative Newsmedia(link is external) award — first place in the Innovation category. The AAN awards recognize the most artful, compelling and courageous journalism produced each year by the alternative newsmedia. AAN member publications vary in size and circulation; publications such as the Austin Chronicle, Chicago Reader and Seven Days compete against each other. This year’s competition consisted of entries submitted by 55 publications in the U.S., Canada and Norway.Source: Colchester, Vt.—Vermont Public Radio and Seven Days(link is external) 10.15.2020last_img read more

first_imgIn September more than two dozen residents of Westwood Hills, the tiny norhteast Johnson County town of just over 350 residents in 167 sought-after homes, gathered around the corner of 50th Street and State Line Road to dedicate a restored light post at the Westwood Hills shops.After months of fundraising efforts, the town was excited to bring electricity back to the antique fixture that had been installed back in the 1920s but that had sat dark for decades.Eleven months later, the pole is down, damaged beyond repair after a single car accident last month. According to Mayor Paula Schwach, the driver of the car is a teenaged resident of the city.“I was very disappointed by the event,” she said. “I was relieved that he was not seriously injured given the amount of property damage to an iron lamp post and a parked car.”The driver was issued a citation in the incident, but that’s little consolation to the group of volunteers who spearheaded the effort to raise the approximately $10,000 it took to return light to the post last year. Schwach said that since the original pole cannot be fixed, the city intends to replace it with a replica.“We have filed an insurance claim with the driver’s provide,” she said.Dozens of Westwood Hills residents gathered last September for the dedication ceremony for the lightpost.last_img read more