first_img Read This NextRicky Schroder Calls Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl ‘Ignorant Punk’ forThe Wrap’Small Axe’: Behind the Music Everyone Grooved On in Steve McQueen’sThe WrapCNN’s Brian Stelter Draws Criticism for Asking Jen Psaki: ‘What Does theThe WrapPink Floyd’s Roger Waters Denies Zuckerberg’s Request to Use Song in Ad:The Wrap2 HFPA Members Resign Citing a Culture of ‘Corruption and Verbal Abuse’The WrapNew England Patriots’ Cam Newton says no extra motivation from Mac Jones’SportsnautDid Donald Trump Wear His Pants Backwards? Kriss Kross Memes Have AlreadyThe WrapHarvey Weinstein to Be Extradited to California to Face Sexual AssaultThe Wrap’Black Widow’ First Reactions: ‘This Is Like the MCU’s Bond Movie’The Wrap Vodafone probe into allegation of fraud at Ono Kate McCannKate McCann is a reporter at City A.M. She covers politics and insurance and can be contacted at [email protected] whatsapp Share whatsapp Show Comments ▼ Vodafone has launched a probe to investigate an allegation of fraud at Ono, the Spanish cable company which the mobile phone giant took over in July this year. The allegation relates to a possible tax fraud in part of Ono’s business, which could have over-inflated the company’s profits ahead of the takeover deal, which was worth £6bn. Vodafone is understood to have blocked all payouts to Ono staff while the allegations are investigated by authorities in Spain. The reports point towards a small group of staff who supposedly traded international minutes via affiliate companies and avoided VAT payments in the process. A Vodafone spokesman confirmed that the group was looking into reports of tax fraud last night and added: “As soon as Vodafone became aware of the issue we instigated a forensic audit to investigate the facts relating to the alleged fraud. As this matter remains under investigation, we cannot comment further.”Former chairman of Ono Jose Maria Castellano, chief executive Rosalia Portela and chief financial officer Carlos Sagasta are no longer involved with the business. They had been in line to take away a share of £50m in bonuses following the successful takeover bid in July, payments, which have now been blocked.The fraud allegedly took place before Vodafone took over the company, but investigators will want to know why the transaction did not get flagged during the due diligence process as part of the takeover. Investigators in Spain are said to have informed Ono executives of the probe in June, before the deal was done. Tags: Company Vodafone Group Monday 27 October 2014 12:16 amlast_img

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Name and email are required